Friday, November 30, 2012

Chasing Trains

CHasing TRains

I had a dream last night. My daughter was the conductor of a train. It was one of the more modern one, like a subway. She had pulled the train in to pick up a wedding party. I was standing on the opposite platform as she left the train and ran over to greet me. As she gave me big hug, we watched in shock as the train rolled out of the station, leaving the wedding party behind...and my daughter. Apparently, she had failed to secure the brakes before exiting the train.

Next was the inevitable movie-like mad dash to catch up to the runaway train and regain command. We ran to the platform as another train pulled in and barely managed to jump on that one. Once safely on board, It finally gave me the opportunity to question her with my fatherly tone; "How could you let the train get away?". She replied embarrassed and apologetic: "I don't know. I thought I set the brakes". We rode the train and brainstormed as how to catch up with the one that got away.

That was the extent of the dream, but it so captured my daughters nature. She is the apple of my eye and more like me than any of my children, which to her credit, may not always be the best thing. She is outgoing, a prankster, takes risk and impulsive. It's the impulsiveness that always gets her into trouble and leaves me and her mother thinking of way to fix the situation.

This dream made me think; 'How many of you are chasing your train?' You sit on the platform in horror as it rumbles down the track and away from the platform. On board are your dreams, goals, opportunities and passions; your precious cargo, but not you. Does that sound familiar?

So often in life, we get caught caught up with life. The things we wanted to pursue and things we held dear, sometimes slip away while we unwittingly leave them unattended and neglected as we momentarily turn aside to something else. I think back and remember all the plans I once had. As I was busy creating a family, having fun, pursuing other interest, many of those treasured dreams pulled out of my station. 

Only difference between the dream and my life was that I never took off to chase the train.

How about you? How many hopes and dreams have or are pulling out of your station? It's not too late to give chase. You are alive! The sun has come up again today and it's a brand new day. Don't fret over yesterday; make your dreams a reality. I know you can do it!

Put your running shoes on ladies and catch that train!

No comments:

Post a Comment